Oak Learners is proud to have developed a partnership with long-time members of LEGS (Lakeshore Environmental Gardening Society), a local community-based gardening organization, that provides outdoor education and stewardship enrichment programs for our students! This school year, our students at both the Royal York and Lakeshore campuses will be participating in workshops that focus on the following explorations: 1) Seasons (i.e., cycles, renewable energy, hibernations and chemistry); 2) Flora in the Fall (i.e., biophilia, nutrition, energy storage and power of the Sun); 3) Fauna in the Fall (i.e., seasonal vs. annual cycles and animal behaviour) and 4) North American Nature Stories and Sustainability. We are so excited to have this partnership and to engage in these wonderful learning opportunities!
The mission of LEGS is to “grow the community one plant at a time”, while focusing on sharing resources and knowledge about sustainability; this lies at the heart of everything that they do. They warmly welcome all community members, both green and brown thumbs, into their garden spaces, meetings and events.
The Lakeshore Environmental Gardening Society has two events upcoming events:
Community Garden Blessing and Drumming Circle
- When: October 15th @ 10:00 am
- Where: 191 New Toronto Street (Community Garden at Daily Bread Food Bank)
Tea Fundraiser for LEGS (October – December)
- Where: Various locations and online
- What: Locally grown organic tea blends for fall and winter gift giving ($5 per package)
- LEGS Tea Blends (2022)
- “Secret Garden” Tea (lemon balm, spearmint, anise hyssop, lavender, calendula)
- “Down Memory Lane” Tea (apple mint, sage, lavender, blue cornflower)
- “Sweet Dreams” Tea (chamomile, apple mint, lemon balm, lemongrass)
Parents, community friends and tea lovers, if you are interested in ordering any of the blends, you can do so by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and sending an e-transfer with your order to email@example.com.
Get updates on new classes, hosted events, and more.