Infection Prevention & Control at Oak LearnersCOVID-19 Precautions & Policies
Infection Prevention & Control
The current community spread of COVID-19 requires schools to prepare a range of delivery circumstances for the 2020-21 school year, including full reopening with public health measures in place, voluntary learn-at-home options, and full remote delivery.
The following enhancements to our facility and programs are being put into place to protect the health and safety of our students, our staff and our families. All policies and procedures were developed in accordance with guidelines from Toronto Public Health.
- Entry to Oak Learners is restricted to staff and students. Parents will drop-off and pick-up from outside, adhering to strict social distancing practices.
- The capacity inside of Oak Learners at any given time is limited to a total of 30 individuals.
- Classrooms are limited to only 6 students and 1 teacher at all times.
- Oak Learners has increased daily cleaning and sanitizing of our facility.
- All unnecessary or hard-to-clean items have been removed from classrooms. All other materials and equipment undergoes daily cleaning and/or cleaning between uses.
- Hand sanitizer is available in each classroom and bathrooms will be cleaned between uses.
- Designing our unique programs with an increased emphasis on Outdoor Education to maximize the learning opportunities for children while we spend at least 30% of our school day outside.
- Maintaining our focus on social and emotional learning for our students through a supportive and flexible program.
- A complete plan for flexible transitions between at-home and in-school learning. Staff and students will receive an at-home plan for sick days or isolation days to ensure there is fluidity between home and school to reduce any loss of learning.
- All students and staff will undergo daily health checks including a COVID-19 screening questionnaire and temperature checks.
- If a student or staff is suspected of being sick with COVID-19, a negative test result or a self-isolation of 14 days will be required before they return to school.
- Students and staff who are sick with any cold or flu-like symptoms will not be permitted to attend school until they have been symptom-free for at least 24hrs.
- Students and staff who are COVID positive cannot return to school until they are cleared by public health (typically 14 days after symptoms started).
- Students and staff will participate in increased “Hygiene Breaks” for hand washing before and after each activity.
- Physical distancing will be encouraged between students as well as reminders of healthy hygiene practices.
- Students will be reminded to practice healthy respiratory etiquette, such as speaking to others from a safe distance, coughing and sneezing into their shirt or sleeve and staying home when sick.
- All staff and teachers will be required to wear masks indoors. Students are not required to wear masks during the day, but are required to always have a mask available for use.
- If a student or staff member becomes sick during the school day, they will be immediately isolated from others and required to wear a mask. Parents/guardians will be contacted to pick up their child immediately and follow telehealth recommendations for next steps.