What is Personalized Learning?
Personalized learning is an assortment of educational approaches and uses of tools to address various learning needs, interests, confidence building, and helping the student achieve success in the classroom and beyond.
So what is the difference between personalized learning and regular classrooms?
- Smaller classroom sizes, which means longer education help with teachers
- Targeted instruction, focuses on what the student actually needs improvement on and further developing skills they currently possess
- To engage students by connecting their out-of-school and in-school lives
- Flexible scheduling around parent and student needs
- More time for the arts, and what the kids actually enjoy
Why Implement Personalized Learning?
Personalized learning is not a curriculum or a program but a different way to think about learning in the classroom that can further develop skills in the future.
“Studies have shown that a personalized learning approach yields better learning results. This approach elevates learning and provides content that is relevant, engaging, actionable, and memorable.” In a personalized learning environment, students get to take advantage of
1. Student-Centered Classrooms
- Smaller classroom sizes which means more time getting help with anything the students needs
- Learning activities are curated for the students and connect to student interests
2. Supportive and Positive Learning Experience
- Student-teacher relationships are greater and more trustable
- Students are encouraged to step out of their comfort zone and enthusiasm is promoted
3. Recognition that all students learn differently
- Ensuring each student has the chance to maximize their potential for success
- Each student learns at different paces in different subjects, which gives ample time for a greater understanding and success
4. Greater chance at succeeding with learning
- It’s proven that students that take extra steps for learning have a greater chance at success moving forward with their academic journey
- Not only do they improve their academic skills, but they also enjoy their learning experience more!
5. Collaborative and Cooperative Learning Environment
- Students explore their own ideas with fellow classmates
- Working closely with teachers to help guide them on their educational journey
So Why Does Personalized Learning Work?
Students learn at their own unique pace, style, and have different areas of growth. Personalized learning challenges and encourages students to achieve the most they can and motivate them to step out of their comfort zone. Personalized learning is not one lesson taught to everyone in the classroom repeatedly like regular education. It instead focuses on customizing the learning experience to better the student’s needs, whether they’re struggling in certain areas, or just overall wanting to excel in other areas. Oak Learners, a private school focusing on personalized learning located in Etobicoke, highlights a lot of these key points. Creating a safe, positive, and caring environment where students are encouraged to discover their own interests, talents, and further develop them.
What Does Oak Learners Offer?
Oak Learners is a private school in Etobicoke, ON, that harnesses its sense of community and builds on students capabilities. Kelly Farrell, the principal of Oak Learners had this to say “When children feel like they belong to something bigger than themselves, they are more likely to work harder to achieve their best to support their role in the larger community.”
We offer great day school and tutoring options. You can check out the day school where students take advantage of personalized tutoring and fun activities such as STEM, music, dance, and so much more! If you want personalized one on one tutoring online or in-person sessions as well, Oak Learners offers private tutoring here!
Get updates on new classes, hosted events, and more.