The question of which school should my child go to causes a great dilemma in a parent’s mind when choosing the right school for their child. When will the school of your choice become the perfect fit? It’s a long and exhausting process, to say the least. In light of helping all parents with this task, we’ve created a list of questions to help you on your journey to choosing the right education for your child.
Questions To Ask Yourself Beforehand
Before going to the schools and asking every question you can think of on the spot, try and see what your goals are for your child and what you want to get out of the school.
- What are the long-term goals I want to get out of this school that will help my child be more educated in the future?
- Why do I see this school as a good fit for my child and what can they provide that may give them an advantage over other schools?
- What strengths and weaknesses does my child have? Will the school expand these categories and help them grow as a learner?
- Do I like the environment of the school? Does it look like somewhere I can send my child to learn every single day?
- What are my expectations of a school? What do I expect my child to get out during their time at this school?
- What role do I play with this school? Should I have a part in the community or help my child after school?
With these questions in mind, you’ll get a better understanding of what you’re looking for in a school, what you’re looking for in the learning process for your child, and what you need to do as a parent to better assist your child during the learning process. This will help direct you in your decision when looking at schools and deciding which may be the best fit for you and your child.
Questions To Ask During A School Tour
Although I’m sure there are hundreds of questions you can ask during a school tour with the principal or teachers, you should try and focus on the more important ones first. Getting to know what values this school has, what learning styles they teach, how they approach teaching as a whole.
- What is the philosophy for learning at this school?
- What would a typical day/week look like for my child in this school?
- How do you create a curriculum? How often is it updated?
- What does a successful student look like here? What does a struggling student look like? How do you help them with getting over learning humps?
- What differentiates you from other schools?
- What role would the parent play in your school?
- What do you see a child leaving your school coming out with?
With these questions in mind, you will hopefully come out with a better understanding of whether you think this school is the right fit for you or not. You’ll understand what the school’s main objectives are, how they may fit your child’s educational journey, and if they meet the requirements you may have. We hope these ideas have helped you in your journey with picking the right school for your child. If you’re having trouble with searching, Oak Learners has a great day school and tutoring options. You can check out the day school where students learn all kinds of skills. If you want personalized one on one tutoring online or in-person sessions as well, Oak Learners offers private tutoring here!
Get updates on new classes, hosted events, and more.