- This event has passed.
Understanding and Analyzing Your Child’s IEP
October 25, 2017 @ 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm EDT
Join us for a unique workshop designed to provide parents with the tools and information necessary to ensure your child’s IEP (Individual Education Plan) becomes a truly collaborative and ongoing process between you and the school.
This workshop has been broken down into three parts. Our guest expert, Hanada Kardassopoulos, will lead you through your child’s IEP so you will gain a complete understanding of the purpose and process to developing an IEP document for your child. To participate fully, please bring a copy of your child’s IEP to follow along as well as any other important documents, including any formal assessments which may benefit the creation of your child’s IEP.
Part One: Understanding the IEP
- Purpose of an Individual Education Plan
- Benefits to my child having a properly written IEP
- Legal requirements for schools and teachers when a child has an IEP
Part Two: What should an IEP look like?
- Understand all of the sections of a complete IEP
- Learn how to define S.M.A.R.T. Learning Goals for your child
- Understand the difference between Modified Learning Expectations and Classroom Accommodations
- Understand when and how to set subject-specific goals and expectations
Part Three: What is in YOUR child’s IEP?
- Learn how to review your child’s IEP
- Learn how to request updates and modifications to your child’s IEP
Meet our workshop administrator and Educational Advocate, Hanada Kardassopoulos, founder of Pathways For All. Hanada brings over 20 years of experience working with children and adolescents in the Ontario educational system, including 14 years as a principal in varied communities; geographically, culturally and ability based. She has taught teachers at York University and represented her district at both Ministry policy development initiatives and international conferences. Handada has earned an Honors Degree in Kinesiology from the University of Toronto, a B. Ed. and M. Ed from The Ontario Institute of Studies in Education (OISE), University of Toronto, certifications in Cognitive Coaching, IBI/ABA Therapy, and Facilitation Skill, and she is currently working towards completing a Masters of Arts in Counselling and Psychology at Yorkville University.